Have you made your new resolution new year yet? If you are looking to have a healthy change in your life here are some good tips to start 2019, healthy is not just about the food we eat but it’s in everything we do.
I always advice to make those changes slowly, changing your lifestyle cannot be done in one day, good habit take time but the sooner you get started the better.
- Eating more fruits and vegetables: we always talk about 5 a day but the more the better. Try to eat 7 or 8 portions a day, make a smoothie and add some leafy greens, introduce more raw vegetables by eating salads, you can check my blog for salads recipes.
- Reduce your sugar intake: by cooking or getting homemade sweets you will decrease your sugar intake. If you make your own cakes, try to replace white sugar for maple syrup or coconut sugar; remove sugar in your coffee; eat less high fructose fruits such as pineapple, mango, I am not saying to remove them completely but maybe have those fruits a few times a week instead of every day. Drink less soda and drink more water, eat less processed food they are usually full of sugar.
- Eat less animal products: introduce more plant-based food, there is plenty of easy recipes online where you can find healthy meals. If you live in Abu Dhabi check out my blog for future events as I organize plant based cooking class every 3 months.
- Getting fit and stronger: by exercising you will get in shape but also it will make you feel happier. Find something that you really like, for me it is cross fit, I love the intensity of those training. I am currently going to 2 different gyms: primal gym on Reem Island and boost fitness. Check out their websites for more info: http://primal.ae, https://www.boostfitness.ae they sometimes have great promotions. The coaches are very professional and will guide you into your body transformation. I also enjoy walking, if you walk for at least 30 minutes daily you will have a great time, burn calories and relieve stress. The weather is beautiful in UAE it’s the perfect time to go for a walk if you are somewhere colder grab a big warm jacket and enjoy the cold air it’s actually very good for the skin.
- Meal plan: no time to cook? Invest some money on meal plans; if you find the right company it can be a very good option toward healthy goals. If you don’t have much of a budget then make your own meal plan and do your prep, you will save time by doing that, and healthy habits will get easier. Your main meals will be ready and you will only need to make a smoothie so that it is fresh and grab some fruits for your day.
- Get organized: get a journal and keep track of your to do lists, appointments and goals. Organizing your paperwork is also a good way to stay on top of things. These will relieve stress and can boost your productivity.
- Include yoga in your weekly routine: yoga relieves stress, it’s excellent for stretching, back pain and it will give you a boost of energy. If you are in Abu Dhabi you can get a voucher on Groupon with Neli she is amazing, the sessions take place at Mushrif Park every Sundays and Wednesdays 7pm till 8pm, it’s a wonderful way for the community to come together, do something different, get some fresh air. Neli has been doing yoga training for many years now. Get in touch with her you won’t regret it: https://www.groupon.ae/deals/anaadi-yoga-4
- Go to bed early: it is ok to sleep late sometimes but try to include early sleep during the week, this will help to have a clear mind the next day and be more focus. One trick is to remove the Internet from your phone, cut down on screen time and grab an old-fashioned book.
- Enjoy your friends and family: we tend to take our friends and family for granted, take care of the people you love: carve out some time to be together, message and call, don’t forget grand-parents, remind your kids that they won’t be here forever and they need to talk and see them as much as they can.
- Set a weekly and monthly budget, by doing that you will have a clearer mind and it will help stay on top of your finances and possibly even save money.
- Have a gratitude journal: remind yourself how beautiful you are, how many things you have done, things that we forget sometimes, things that we think are not important but can help us appreciate our lives more.
- Complain less: by complaining less you will feel much better. This can help turning negativity to positivity and in turn improve your day. Avoid negative words such as: no I can’t, I am not able to, this is too hard….If focusing on positive thoughts doesn’t work for you just yet, try to aim towards neutral thoughts, so rather than say ‘I can’t do that, I am not good enough at this thing’ try to say ‘I am trying the best that I can, I am learning how to do this’.
If you live in Abu Dhabi and you would like more tips, help with meal plans or food deliveries do not hesitate to get in touch, I will be delighted to help: email@example.com