New Year’s Eve is around the corner and what a better time to think about a few health recipes to add to all the goodies you will be having. I know it’s not really the time of the year when low-fat dishes are on our mind, but if you are a little concerned with the calorie intake, you can easily swap a few dishes with healthier options.
I am sharing a beautiful tasty and yummy recipe for a raw vegan almond & zaatar cheese spread. It is rich in protein but low in fat and is simply delicious on crackers, sourdough bread or baguette.
- 1 cup of almonds (soaked, drained & skin removed)
- 1/4 cup of water
- 2 TBS of olive oil
- 2 TBS of nutritional yeast
- 3 TBS of lemon juice
- 1 TS of agar agar + 2 TS of water
- 1 TS of zaatar (feel free to add more for a stronger taste)
- 1 garlic clove
- Pinch of salt
- Soak the almond for 2 hours in hot water and remove the skin.
- Place the almonds, garlic,nutritional yeast, lemon juice, zaatar, olive oil & salt in a food processor
- Process until smooth
- Place the agar agar and water in a small saucepan, stir for about 15 secondes, place the agar agar gel in the food processor with the almonds mixture, process for 30 secondes.
- Take 3 small ramekins and spray with olive oil (It will be easier to unmold the cheese)
- Pour the mixture and place in the fridge for 2 hours.
- Unmold the cheese and place on a nice plate.
- Serve with raw crackers, raw veggies or baguette
- The cheese can be kept for up to two weeks in the fridge and only takes about 20 minutes to prepare and 2 hours to set.